Thursday, February 25, 2010

Ice Cold Tomato Juice

I don’t tell this story often for a couple reasons. First, it’s one of those had-to-be-there moments. Second kinda goes along with the first – if you weren’t there, it’s hard to believe. Nevertheless, I feel like sharing because I figure if I stick my neck out there with some zany, off-the-wall stories maybe others who have had similar stories won’t feel so awkward or embarrassed to share theirs.

About 3 years ago, I was to meet up with a buddy of mine and another couple for brunch. One girl and her boyfriend, my friend and me– 4 in all. To put this politely, I went “out” the night before and got in just in time to get a shower, pretty up and look decent (ahem).

We went to brunch at a nice, chill place on Broadway in Seattle.

The server makes a brief stop to say he’ll be back to get drink orders. All four of us are deep in thought, scouring the drink menu. I am sitting across the table from my female co-worker. I am thinking to myself, “Man, I have this craving for tomato juice. That’s weird, cause the only time I EVER drink tomato juice is when I’m on an airplane…and I gotta have lots of ice in a cup.”

Here’s the odd, once-in-a-lifetime part.

The waiter returns and asks for the girl (sitting across from me) to start. She hesitates, and then says outloud, “You know, I have this odd craving for tomato juice. That may not sound weird, but the only time I ever really want tomato juice is when I’m on an airplane. And it has to be really cold with lots of ice. Isn’t that weird? I don’t know why I just told you all that.”

What are the chances?

That was either the biggest coup de coincidence or magnificent display of “thought projection” I’ve ever experienced in my life..so far. Anybody else experience anything like this?!

1 comment:

  1. I've had 2 weird experiences like that too, sort-of... so strange that I could not explain the logic of it...

    1) I was in the Providence Airport before a flight, printing off my boarding pass, when a guy came up to me and asked me some random question, when he walked away, he said "thanks Courtney." I was like, huh??? How did he know my name? Maybe he saw it on the screen, but the even stranger part was that he was not facing the screen the entire time, he was in front of the machine... I walked over to Kyle and told him about it and kept questioning myself as if, did he really just say my name???

    2) This one is even better... when I was a sophomore at Villanova I went out for a jog, nice afternoon, no reason not to. I got lost and was jogging around all over the place and started to get nervous. Then out of nowhere it started to hailing, yes, hailing. AND then the sidewalk I was running on just came to an end and there was major traffic in front of me. I thought WTF am I going to do... I'm lost, it's hailing, the sidewalk just ended. I need help, help, help kept running through my mind. All of the sudden a beautiful blue Mercedes pulled up, power window came down and a nice little old lady all dressed in navy asked me if I needed a ride back to campus. NOW, I NEVER would have gotten in the car with a stranger, but my mind told me that the only person I would have accepted a ride from was an old woman in a nice car, for why would that person want to hurt me??? So, I accepted and apologized profusely for getting her carpet dirty b/c my sneakers were covered in mud. She said, don't worry and started driving me back to campus. I told her to drop me off on main campus, even though I lived on South campus b/c I didn't want a stranger knowing what dorm I lived in. She said, are you sure you don't want me to drop you off at south campus, like she knew that is where I lived. Anyway, long story short, she dropped me off on main campus and I never saw her again.

    I don't know what to make of it, I believe 2 things are possible... 1) I manifested her to come to me OR 2) she was an angel or spiritual being or a protector to help save me from that moment...

    Deep thoughts late at night!!!!

    ReplyDelete