Friday, March 19, 2010

My Name is William, But You Can Call Me…


My Name is William, But You Can Call Me…


Hello. I am a word, but one little word in the English language and I am here to set the record straight. The problem is that I am often misunderstood, taken out of context and I feel used. People use me in every conceivable situation and have assigned my name to so many different things that the mere mention of my name furrows foreheads and casts confusion amidst otherwise uninterrupted, smooth discussions. How is it that a word like me is being cheated of my own unique identity while other words like squeegee command immediate recognition?! Let me explain to you what I mean.


The origin of my proper name, William, is a popular given name of old Germanic origin. It became very popular in the English language after the Norman Conquest of 1066, and remained so throughout the Middle Ages and into the modern era. Since then, I have been shortened to just four letters (actually three distinct letters, one is used twice) and one syllable.

I am often coupled with and used to describe the word “dollar” (a piece of paper money in United States’ currency). However, in American slang, particularly among those involved in gambling or the black market, my name is synonymous to the highest denomination of currency – one hundred big ones, bearing the face of Philadelphia native and noted inventor Benjamin Franklin.


Many people who live on their own, rent or pay mortgage cringe at the mere thought me! Perhaps this is why I am given away so eagerly and so freely. In fact, utility companies (mainly electric, hydro, cable, phone and waste management) send a copy of me to each of their customers once a month or more. Others accept me with somewhat reluctantly with sigh after having received a copy of me in exchange a product or service rendered, such as a meal in a restaurant or repairs on a vehicle. My versatility is showcased most often in this scenario as I can be used as a noun (the document, statement or list of product(s) and/or service(s) provided) or as a verb (the act of issuing the aforementioned document, statement or list). Oh no, there’s more…


Picture in your mind a baseball field. See the players in the outfield? You see what they are wearing on their head? Now zoom in closer…I am the canopy on their cap, the awning over their eyes, indeed the brim of their hat.


From the forehead to the middle of the face, this says it all: a bird is to a beak as a duck is to…me!


Showbiz and Hollywood folk use me as well. Evidently, they deem me worthy to detail the lineup of acts, shows, performances and other forms of entertainment, generally taking the form of a list for a particular event.


Now do you know exactly what I am?!

No comments:

Post a Comment